Senior Software Development Engineer
Hours of work: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
Dolphin exists to deliver independence to people with vision and print impairments. We do this through the development of software solutions that remove obstacles to successful learning, working and playing. Dolphin is one of the leading suppliers of software to people with low vision and dyslexia, with a distribution channel in over forty countries and products available in over twenty languages
Dolphin is currently working hard to improve its customer experience through the provision of an improved, high quality range of innovative products and services. The role is an exciting one for an experienced Software Development Engineer. Dolphin's strategic focus on quality and innovation will require the successful candidate to engage in ongoing personal and organizational development, to support both improvements to quality processes, and a move to more agile development processes
Specifically responsibilities will include:
- Software development work as part of a team developing a variety of quality retail products for the visually impaired and dyslexic on Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Mobile.
- Technical research into a variety of areas to solve problems.
- Creation of prototype applications to test possible solutions.
- Bug fixing of existing products.
- Provision of assistance to technical support staff as necessary.
- Assisting the product design team with requirements specifications.
- Testing alpha and beta code.
- Provision time estimates for development tasks.
Degree level in an Engineering or Science subject
At least 3 years in a software engineering role.
C/C++, Win32 API. Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 or later
Experience in one or more of the following areas would be advantageous:
- Microsoft Office Object models
- Reverse Engineering of Windows applications and kernel.
- Windows Server configuration and administration.
- WINSOCK and TCP/IP
- Code optimisation
- Developing on Windows Mobile or WinCE.
- Real-time software.
- Windows Security Model (especially on Vista)
The ideal candidate will be:
- Committed and driven to achieve in all aspects of their work
- Responsibility driven and able to work under own initiative and unsupervised
- Able to work as part of a team
- Customer focussed in their attitude to work
- Proactive in management of their learning and career
- Be able to communicate effectively with a range of people both inside and outside of the department.
- Display high attention to detail.
- Demonstrate excellent problem solving skills
If you would like to apply for this role, please send a CV and covering letter to Harriet Grant