Knowledge Base Article Number: Q0313
Created On: 20 Apr 2011
Our bespoke application will not speak, Braille or track magnification
- SuperNova Access Suite
- SuperNova Magnifier
- SuperNova Reader Magnifier
- SuperNova Screen Reader
If you are running a bespoke application and find that SuperNova does not speak, Braille or track the focus then you may find doing one or more of the following provides a solution.
To improve access to a bespoke application, you should try:
(a) General Tips
Ensuring the following general tips are adhered to should mean access to applications remains optimal.
· Run all of your applications maximized. This will reduce the likelihood of text being clipped by the edges of windows.
· Do not set any windows to be "Always on top".
· Do not use the desktop without first minimizing all your windows.
· Use your word processor with a zoom factor of 100% (if applicable). This will enable the font size of your text to be accurately determined.
· Do not use any "background processing" facilities in your application. This may slow down SuperNova's response time because SuperNova is also a background process, and will be forced to share CPU time with all other background processes.
(b) Improve access by changing your Map file
If you find SuperNova does not work well with your application using the "Default Application" Map file then it is worth trying another Map file. You can try as many Map files as you like.
· Try using a Map file for a different version of the same application. You may find a Map file for an old version of an application will work just as well with a new version of the application.
· Try using a Map file created for an application from the same manufacturer. You may find a Map file for a different application but created by the same manufacturer will work well with your application, for example, if you are using a Microsoft application try using the Microsoft Office Map file.
· Try using the "MSAA Application" Map file if you know your application supports MSAA.
To choose a different Map file:
1. Run your application.
2. Press LEFT CONTROL + SPACEBAR. The SuperNova control panel opens.
3. Press ALT + F. The "File" menu opens with the "New" menu item selected.
4. RIGHT ARROW to open the "New" sub-menu, DOWN ARROW to "Map" and press ENTER. The "Select Map file" dialog box opens.
5. DOWN ARROW to select the "Use an existing Map file" option.
6. TAB to the Map list and use the Arrow Keys to select a Map file.
7. TAB to the "OK" button and press SPACEBAR. The dialog box closes.
8. Press ESCAPE. The SuperNova control panel closes and focus goes back to the application.
The new Map file's detection settings will take effect immediately. If you continue to have problems accessing your application then please contact Dolphin or your local Dolphin Dealer for assistance.
(c) Keyboard access with the Dolphin Cursor (available with SuperNova Access Suite and SuperNova Screen reader)
The Dolphin Cursor can help you work in an application that has little or no keyboard access.
The Dolphin cursor is a special kind of cursor created by SuperNova. The Dolphin Cursor allows you to read the contents of the screen line by line, or word by word, or letter by letter using your keyboard. You can use the Dolphin cursor to review any part of your computer's screen. You can also use the Dolphin Cursor to simulate mouse clicks on menu items, buttons, check boxes and other controls.
Please refer to the SuperNova Manual to learn more about the Dolphin Cursor.
Downloads and useful links:
The information provided in this knowledge base article has been reviewed and is believed to be accurate and is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied. In no event shall Dolphin Computer Access Ltd. nor its affiliates assume any responsibility for inaccuracies, errors, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect or omission in this document, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
Keep in touch
Do you have any comments on this article? Send any comments on this article quoting article number Q0313 to email@example.com.
I have this problem too!
If you're experiencing this issue with your Dolphin software then let us know and we will update you when more information or a fix is available:
Printed from www.YourDolphin.com.
© 2011 Dolphin Computer Access Ltd. All rights reserved.